After completing my first week at my new job, I can tell you that I am pretty happy with the way things are going.
I haven't looked like an idiot yet who doesn't know what she's doing and........ I think I've even pitched a few great ideas.
So....so far so good. I was a little worried for a while there thinking that I was out of touch with the world and reality. I'm not as out of touch as I thought (thank god), but if they give me a blackberry to use....I may just have a nervous breakdown!
I did have to stop myself from saying something very "Mexican" though. I'm sure if I would have said it, they would have looked at me like I have 3 heads. Which really isn't all that different from going to the farmacia in Cancun and asking for a prescription. It's one of those, you're a white chick speaking Spanish and that confuses me things*. Anyways........ when everyone at the office was complaining about how they felt tired, drained and like they were getting sick, I almost said, "Oh yeah, well...... it's for the change of the weather!". Der!
Before, I realized that it's just a bunch of bullshit and I just learned to say that when someone got a cold in Cancun because, that's what you're suppose to say! Although.....it would probably make more sense here since there really are changes in the weather and there really are 4 seasons!
I think I'll buy them all Vic's Vaporub. That should solve everything from yeast infections to a cough.
I'm so thoughtful.
*One of the most common problems of an expat in Mexico is that sometimes even though you are speaking Spanish, people look at you as if you are speaking Chinese or something. For some reason it really confuses them. I can't tell you how many times my friends and I have said, "I asked for a pizza and she looked at me like I had 3 heads!". To which my response is, "Did you say pizza in Spanish?", and there answer was always, "YES!".
7 years ago
7 comments:
Yay, glad things are working out! Too funny about the language barrier, lol! And oh yes, I often feel like I have three heads, Spanish et al. Like asking a taxi driver to take me to "MICKDonald's" (the correct pronunciation) and him being very, very confused til I say "MACKDonald's". Cause yeah, big difference there buddy.
oh, I know that confused look. They expect me to be speaking to them in Russian or something and are caught off guard when I´m actually speaking Spanish. I have to repeat myself 3 times before they realize I´m speaking their language!
I'm really happy that the job seems to be going pretty good for you. Not that I ever had any doubts....but to hear the excitement & relief in your post is great!
Keep up the great work, it all pays off in the end.
Michelle
p.s. Can't say that I can relate to the spanish speaking confusion thing, the little that I do speak & understand is best kept to myself here in Chicago. I'd rather they NOT know that I understand when they are talking about me or someone that I'm with.
It's almost like them whispering out loud & sticking their foot in their mouth in the process.
Aaahh! The blank stare...how I hate thee! And why is it always after I have said something absolutely correctly??? "Mande?"....my @ss!
I'm glad you guys have gotten the blank stare too! lol. I was beginning to think I really had 3 heads.....
Michelle....I find I end up listening to people's conversations when they speak Spanish. I use to be able to tune it out in Cancun but now I find myself being nosy about what they are talking about!
I know this post is from a while back, BUT I just have to say that the weather changes "make" people sick here in Chile too!!!! It's even as simple as leaving an air-conditioned building to the hot summer air. AND I can totally relate to the fact that sometimes people look at me as if I were speaking some random language just because I'm a gringa and use the same slang as every other Chilean.
La Chilengüita - Thanks for dropping a comment! No worries about it being an older post. I'm flattered you read it! :) There are tons of similarities between Latin American countries....that's why the Latin American blog community is so large! Thanks again for stopping by.
Post a Comment