Friday, November 14, 2008

Vancouver Smells Like Pot

I'm sure those of you who have no interest in Madonna will be happy to know that I'm done with the Madonna pics and vids!

Now I'm back to my regular complaining self.

Vancouver smells like pot. Not all the time and it's not everywhere, but if you had to ask me what Vancouver smelled like, I'd probably say something like, "Well it's nice most of the time and there is a crisp, clean, foresty flowerly smell to it, and then other times, it smells like weed. And if it's not weed, it might be a skunk, but sometimes it's very hard to distinguish the difference, because lets face it, really good, really potent pot smells skunky.".

For the record, I do not smoke pot. I don't smoke regular cigarrettes either, and I don't know, I'm just not that into the weed (just like "I'm just not that into you"). It's cool if you're into weed and all that, but for me, it just doesn't tickle my fancy. But living in Vancouver has taught me to recognize the smell of weed and the ability to identify it and so, I notice it. Especially since I've moved back.

I'm also able to identify the smell of shit. Because lets face it folks, Cancun smells like shit in certain areas. It's a fact. So don't get your panties all up in a knot about dissing Cancun etc. etc bla bla blah. Cancun smells like Caca in certain areas because of the fancy open sewage system they have. Yum yum. It's true. And if you have never smelled it, then you might want to get your nose checked, or enjoy the lack of shit smell while you can.

Sometimes that caca smell will vary slightly because it is the smell of rotting matter in the lagoon. So in certain areas of the hotel zone (by the Mayafair Plaza) you will smell a nice funk. It's caca-smelling. From what I've read, heard and been told, there is a lack of oxygen in the lagoon which makes it difficult to naturally break down any biological matter. I've also been told that Cancun sewage is dumped directly into the lagoon. This makes me feel ill and I am choosing not to believe this horrifying rumor. Anyhow, the build up of guck in the lagoon coupled with the intense heat and humidity makes for some yummy cooking olores.

Back in the day when we would hit Azucar for Saturday night salsa dancing, there was always that nice caca smell in that same area and it was more noticeable during certain times of the year. I would always say out loud, "Mmmmmmmm tacos de mierda!" and taxi cab drivers would get a chuckle out of the white girl with the extra sensitive nasal passage and lack of verbal filtering.

So it looks like I've traded the smell of caca for the smell of weed. I think this would make most people happy and I suppose I should be happy too, since second hand weed can be almost as reactive as smoking it yourself...depending on how enclosed the room you are in. So why does it bug me?

Remember when I said that good weed smells kinda skunky? Have you ever heard how good B.C. Bud is? If you're not familiar with it, lets just say, that British Columbia is known for having some really good quality ganja and if you haven't tried it, you might wanna. So anyways, if it's good weed, which it is, I get to smell skunk on a regular basis. Not my idea of fun.

I smell it in my car.....on the skytrain....at work (comes in through the porous brick wall behind me), .......at concerts....on the street.....on people's clothes.....in people's houses....anywhere really.

A good perfume smells good. But if someone puts too much on and you have to smell it too often, it gets to be annoying. Ya hear me?

So.......what does your city smell like?

Cookies? Urine? Pastries? Cheese? Tobacco? Coffee? Fish?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was with some GFs once in Vegas several years ago and we walked by the Monte Carlo Hotel/Casino. There was some construction going on and I said that is smelled like we were in MX. Two of the three got it since they have travelled to MX. But the third one was like “what?” Now to me pot is a much better smell than caca especially if the caca smell is when I am sitting in a restaurant.

Anonymous said...

Hum...my neighborhood smells like Gyros & roast pig in the summer. (I live in Greektown) The rest of the year, it smells like Blommers Chocolate. (the factory is real close)

Every Sunday morning, the alleys all reek of piss,empty beer bottles and food scraps. Sorta like a mini Bourbon Street.

Fned said...

hahaahaha!!! Your post reminded me of the first impression I had when I came to Paris, regarding smells that is.

I was getting on the metro for the first time when it hit me. This potent, disgusting, asphyxiating odor of..... digested mustard!!!!

I know, I know.... eiiiiiiiiiwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

But I swear that's what Paris smelled to me those first days. After I got used to the taste and smell of Dijon mustard (which I never even knew about before coming to France) I no longer sense that odor anymore... on the other hand, that's probably because it's now coming out of MY own pores!!!

Yuck!
Fned.

PurpleDragonFly said...

I'm so lucky I have a neighbor below that sits and smokes pot every day.So all the smoke comes up and into my apartment...joy.Some days I get so high I waste my days sleeping it off.

As for city smell, Abbotsford smells like cow shit most of the year.in the summer you can smell the dog food factory. That, to me is worse than cow shit.But mix them together and you get a puky odor.

My Way said...

Jackie - Mexico also smells like Fabuloso or Pinol. You notice that?

Spicy - Sounds interesting. And very ethnic at that.

Fned - Me and smells go along way and I'm happy that I'm not the only one that notices silly things like this. Anyhow....now every time I have a pretzel I'll think of you....I'm sure you go well with pretzels.

DragonFly - When I was in highschool my boyfriend's mom and sister smoked pot and whenever I'd go see him afterschool I would nap. Now I know why! I know about the cow shit smell....sometimes it makes me high...higher than the pot smell, but the dog food thing....that might be worse than shit?

Anonymous said...

im gonna have to agree on the sewage perfume in cancun ...its totally true..back to smells...back home ,mexico city smells of smog and somehow a bit like dirt,not very pleasant,if i go on vacation and get back home i can immediately identify the smell of smog and flying dirt ...we are known for having particles of stuff in our air..so its no wonder.a friend said venece also smells like shit haha so cancun aint too bad then!
Norma

Anonymous said...

agree with both sensations