On Saturay night I had to attend my boss' birthday party. While it was an enjoyable party, I did have other plans that evening to attend to. Dancing salsa with a few friends to be exact.
I made an appearance to the party and dressed as I would when I go out salsa dancing. A skirt, sexy top and sexy shoes with hair done curly and loose so that it can fly around when I dance.
I had mentioned to a co-worker at my boss' party where I was going later but didn't think it really registered with her, or that she cared. I quickly said a few goodbyes at the party and made a quick exit out so as to not cause a ruckus.
I met my salsa buddies at the restaurant where we would be dancing and we found a table close to the dance floor and got busy.
So there I was dancing salsa with my friend, giggling away, spinning and tapping my feet to the beat when I hear a knock at the window and turn my head. It's my co-worker waving her hand and smiling frantically at me. As I spun around to continue the beat, I waved back and smiled and continued floating about with my partner.
I'll be honest, it kind of took me by surprise and made me feel a little strange for a moment but she quickly left and I continued my night of dancing without thinking twice about it.
This morning when I walked into work my co-worker had this to say to me:
"Elizabeth, you looked absolutely radiant and stunning while dancing and I've never seen you so happy and carefree! You just had this glow about you. It was great to see and I wish I could dance like you."
I had a moment of pure embarrassment and realized that she had just discovered a new part of me that I generally reserve for my salsa friends and acquaintances only. It was almost as if she had taken a peak at one of my other personalities and combined "work Liz" with "salsa Liz" and it made me feel really strange.
As I tried to brush off the awkward feeling I had I realized that I didn't have just two personalities. There wasn't just "Work Liz" and "Salsa Liz" but also a collection of others. Friends, I am pleased to introduce you to "Cancun Liz" and "Martial Arts Liz" and "Vancouver Liz" along with "Family Liz" and "Girlfriend Liz" and we can't forget "Drunk Liz" and "Blogger Liz" and "Angry Liz" (be careful of Angry Liz....she's scary) and "I'm so tired and hungry I might kill you Liz".... and that's just the start of the mass collection of "Liz's".
More often than not, I keep my personalities separate from each other and they don't overlap much. So when they mix and someone gets a peak into two or more personalities at once when generally they should only know one, I feel like they've stepped into some sort of different part of my world that they are secretly viewing without full permission.
What a sight it would be for my "Martial Arts friends" to see my "Salsa Liz" and vice versa. No doubt they would get a little confused because I will admit, I am a different person depending on what situation and friends I'm around at the time. Obviously "Salsa Liz" is dressed all pretty and glides around the dance floor in the most feminine way she can. But "Martial Art's Liz" is tough, likes to kick hard, has bruises all the time, can hang with the guys and talk UFC, hits things and has her hair tied back with no flashy jewlery or even shoes, let alone strappy high heels.
What a sight it would be for my "Martial Arts friends" to see my "Salsa Liz" and vice versa. No doubt they would get a little confused because I will admit, I am a different person depending on what situation and friends I'm around at the time. Obviously "Salsa Liz" is dressed all pretty and glides around the dance floor in the most feminine way she can. But "Martial Art's Liz" is tough, likes to kick hard, has bruises all the time, can hang with the guys and talk UFC, hits things and has her hair tied back with no flashy jewlery or even shoes, let alone strappy high heels.
It's kind of like having a friend for a very long time that is all earthy and light and feminine and never wears a tidge of makeup. This is how you know them and that is all you know. Until, you bump into them on the street and they are on their way to a goth party, all dressed in black with funky goth clothes wearing dark makeup and have bright red lips with gothy punk shoes and hair. They are still your friend, but it's your friend being completely different from what you were use to.
Generally, I'm the same person but when my co-worker mentioned how different she saw me, I realized that I do have multiple personalities!!!! They are most often kept away from each other but not because I don't want them to know about other personalities but just that that's the way it has happened. It's a filing system of sorts.
This has become a bit of an issue lately since I've got so many personalities, yet I can only physically be in one place at a time. I really have been so busy that I don't know what to do with all of my-selves!
As a result, "blogger Liz" has not had enough time to blog much lately but she knows that all of her "blogger friends" forgive her and that helps a whole bunch because then she won't have to have to introduce you to "feeling guilty about not blogging Liz".
7 comments:
I've seen most of those Lizs but I have yet to see Martial Arts Liz, I think it would be cool to watch you beat the smack out of someone and have no one end up in jail. If none of you have ever seen Salsa Liz, it's truly a site to behold, and let's be honest I haven't even seen her in her full element. Multiple personalities are great, I have a few myself.
Wow, that sounds familiar.
Salsa Walter is dressed in shiny shirts full of dazzling prints that would never make it to other parts of my life.
Martial arts Walter (although retired now) does seem to mix a lot with salsa as it seems a lot of martial artists I know do salsa as well (who would have thought).
And blogging Walter should probably apologize to his readers as well.
I do find that my personalities are starting to integrate more though. And I do enjoy that.
On the other hand, all the personalities are wonderful as well. They give you a chance to 'escape' from the stress of everyday life once in a while.
But the main reason I wrote was to say, thanks for writing this post. I really could identify with it and enjoyed reading it a lot.
JJ - Oh I've seen a few of your personalities as well...and let me tell you...thoroughly entertaining! Thanks for the compliments...maybe I'll compete sometime soon. Who knows. I think I have a lot of work to do in terms of beating up people with grace and I'm hard on myself...so we will see where that takes me.
Walter - Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking a read. It looks like we have a lot in common! Strangely enough, both salsa and Martial Arts compliment each other in a sort of oxymoron sort of way. Both are addicting and both give me the high I need in life. I've peeked around your salsero blog a bit and it's a good read ;) Thanks again and welcome.
I has them too. I mean, I sort of, kind of try to combine them all into one for my husband...but truthfully, he's probably the only one who sees 100% of me all the time...and that's only because he's forced to live me. Poor guy.
I survive on my other personalities. Since moving here to Mexico there is pretty much just momma and cooking versions but we are working on getting more.
Wow I think you finally figured it out.... can't believe it. Now folks I knew she had some kind of martials arts in her system when she was just a little girl. Didn't like this guy that was working for us and just went up to him and kicked him and walked away. As for her dancing she loved that too!
Clan - Hey, you can never have too many of yourself right?
Anon. - Ok mom.
Post a Comment