Wednesday, March 11, 2009

An Apple A Day...

You’d think that in a country where medical is essentially free that most people would be taking advantage of this. Well, it’s not EXACTLY free as I currently pay about $60 a month. So I “sort of” pay something and it’s enough to remind me that I can pretty much go to the doctor as much as I want for that price, have surgery, go to emergency….whatever.

Fortunately, I am pretty healthy and don’t have to go to the doctor often. I’m lucky if I have to go twice a year (at least here….in the place with few parasites and such). Unfortunately, I don’t feel like I’m getting my moneys worth but I suppose that’s ok since I have the security in knowing that IF I do need some major medical assistance, I wouldn’t have to fork out any additional money for it. It’s the $60 dollars a month and that’s that. Those with lower income do not have to pay at all and the price we pay is based on our salary.

Something has been bugging me about this though. Everyone in my office has been getting sick. This happens. We are all contained in a relatively small place and if you happen to sneeze or cough or touch things, you could get sick.

In Mexico, I often joked about the fact that whenever you went to the doctor you were always sure to get 3 prescriptions….for no matter what illness you had. It was usually an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory and then something like advil, or something to help you sleep or a cream of some sort….or perhaps acidophilus.

It’s not unknown that in Mexico, doctors love to hand out antibiotics like candy. This isn’t exactly a good thing. Everyone knows that we are just creating stronger, more resistant strains of viruses/bacteria by doing this. And to make it worse, they often blindly prescribe antibiotics……which can be very very bad. I know this because I ended up with Bell’s Palsy (facial paralysis) because a doctor did not test the type of bacteria to prescribe the proper antibiotic to fight off the infection (I’m still bitter).

Anyhow, getting to the point. Here, people can go to the doctor every day if they wanted to (although they could get reported for visiting without just cause) and not have to pay for it. Here you can go to the doctor and not worry about how much your xrays will cost or the fact that you need to get rehydrated and stay over night. You don’t have to worry about all the money. You can go, you can get treated and it’s EASY.

So explain to me WHY WHY WHY in the hell all of these sick people, who keep getting sick over and over, and keep coming to work, to pass on the bug and repeat the process, don’t they go to the fucking doctor to get some drugs to get better FOR GOOD? It’s FREE. WHY? What is wrong with them?

I’ll tell you what’s wrong with them. My fellow countrypeople are spoiled and don’t realize what a great thing it is to be able to go to the doctor, or the emergency without having to call their insurance to get approved first, or without having to fork out money for a doctor who probably sucks and is just going to write you 3 prescriptions that you can guess on your own anyway. They don’t realize that the doctor they are visiting is most likely CAPABLE of diagnosing the problem correctly.

But they can’t help you if you don’t go see them and you clearly are a shitty judge of your illness if you keep getting sick.

So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Just go to the doctor so I don’t have to get sick and go to the doctor for you!

7 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

Same thing in Chile. Docs LOOOOOOOOVE antibiotics. I've actually turned them down before, saying, no, you can prescribe them to me, but I will not be taking them so don't even bother. I'm not a doctor, but even I know that just slapping some antibiotics down as a "precautionary method," isn't the best way to practice health!

UGH. I really hate when people get sick and then spread their germs like wildfire.

One thing I think is that people in Chile are sick a lot more because they all use public transportation and in generally live with more people under one roof and infect each other. In the U.S. we drive around in our own little cars and live in houses in our own little bubble so we don't infect as many people if we're sick...most of the time.

Anonymous said...

Great subject!!!...It's VERY simple people!!! Eat well,Sleep well and exercise!! And spend minimal time around sick co-workers...I changed my life 20 years ago and have not been sick at all!! I don't feel sorry for those who don't look after themselves. Go have a V8! and a nap and party like its 1999!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I can't seem to get to the beginning of your blog, but I am just wondering where you worked while in Mexico?

My Way said...

Mama - I'm not sure if people here get sick more often or if they do in Mexico but one thing for sure is that people have way more stomach issues in Mexico!

Anon 1- I have a V8 in my drawer. :)

Anon 2 - As much as I like to blog and tell people a whole bunch of shit, I do keep some things private. I know you obviously do too....since you didn't even leave your name. :( So surely you understand where I'm coming from. On that note, I was a professional beach goer on the weekends :) and most people know about that!

Fned said...

Sorry Ms Way, but actually I'm one of THOSE people that REFUSES to go see the white coat dude if I'm not feeling too well and prefers to suck it up and go on as if nothing's wrong, specially when it's only a dumb flu that's ailing me.

I see it the opposite way really: why the fuck do people feel the urge to high tail it straight to the doctor for any little ol' thing?

(I know, you hate me by now).

I loathe going to the doctor. The stupid process of making an appointment, taking time off from work to go there, sitting in a depressing waiting room full of SICK (or hypocondriac) people, being showed in and having to go through a whole interrogation and examination when all you clearly need is some Vitamin C, walking out of the Dr's office with a stupid prescription you then have to go to a pharmacy to get, and coming home after all that feeling exhausted, dirty and full of third-party germs.

Urgh!

I have never been incredibly sick so far (banging on wood) and I agree with Anon1, a healthy life style is probably a big part of the reason why.

And, contrary to what you may think, I have been to the doctor a few times in my life but only after checking that my symptoms didn't come up in google search or that advil clearly wasn't getting the job done. I think I've taken antibiotics 4 times in my entire life (I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad though!!).

And ok, maybe my aversion to doc's comes from growing up in a country with crappy medical facilities and people, and yeah... I hate having to disclose my personal information to just anyone...

But I just simply avoid the whole thing if I can.

Still.... I do hate it when people in my office sneeze and don't cover their mouth. Aren't they thinking of those of us who don't give a shit about our own health??

;)
Fned.

Rosas Clan in Tulum said...

I totally know what you mean. Parents of kids do the same thing. They just keep spreading it around and around. It is amazing that amount of stuff that I took for granted when I lived in the United States.

My Way said...

Fned - Do not feel bad you are not offending me as I often see two sides of the coin. I hate it when people baby their illnesses as well so really you don't have to explain yourself to me. I know a lot of people hate doctors and I really wish they didn't have this fear just as much I wish they didn't have the fear of heights. But alas, I cannot change that either! lol. What I can do is bitch and bitch I will.

Clan Lady - Living abroad sure does make you appreciate things more. :)