Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ice Cold Coconuts

I was walking home last night in the dark after work and I noticed a coconut sitting on the grass.

I kept my eye on it as I approached it and thought, oh, it must have fallen out of the tree. No big deal. What a pretty coconut.

Then I heard something.

“Hey dimwit! There are no palm trees here with coconuts and there are no coconuts just laying around!”

I looked closer at my dear coconut and I realized it was actually the remnants of a snow ball that “appeared” to look like a coconut.

Dios mio.

I’m OBVIOUSLY still integrating.

7 comments:

Islagringo said...

I just had a "duh" moment. It never dawned on me where you are while reading it. I just thought "What's the big deal about a coconut on the ground?"!

Anonymous said...

We can send you some to leave on the path from your house to work to help with the integration, so it's not so traumatic for you. Just think of it as you being in a Hansel and Gretel story.

CancunCanuck said...

Ay girlfriend, you crack me up. I just spit coffee out my nose.

At least it wasn't a severed head, cause you know, they're just lying around down here like coconuts too. ;-) Though I suppose it could have been a severed snowman head.....

My Way said...

Isla - EXACTLY my point! LOL!

Anon - Wouldn't this fuck me up more?

Canuck - Did it feel good ... coffee out the nose???

Rosas Clan in Tulum said...

It might fuck you up a little more but at least you would have alittle bit of Mexico on your walk home. I would send 80 degrees if I could. :)

Mamacita Chilena said...

HAHA, isn't reverse culture shock fun?!?

It actually sent me to a psychiatrist when I moved back to the U.S. after 8 months in Chile. Hopefully your coconut hallucinations don't take you back down that route.

My Way said...

Rosas - Honestly, the only things missing in Vancouver are nicer beaches, warmer weather year round, my Cancun friends and all night partying. lol. Other than that, shit is good here.

Mama - Honestly, I'm just happy I'm not alone in this cuz I often feel that way. My friends don't get it when I turn stupid because I just don't know how things are here. They think cuz I've lived here before I should KNOW, but I trained myself to live in MEXICO and adapted as I should. It's harder to break the habits going back.